This year sees the congregation of the Church of the Good shepherd celebrate two significant anniversaries relating to its life in Murrayfield and the surrounding area. The Congregation was founded in 1890 to meet the needs of the then rapidly growing, new, community to the west of the city centre. Originally the congregation met in the Roseburn Reading Room but by 1891 they had moved into a temporary 'iron Church' on the present site in Murrayfield Avenue. Here the congregation worshipped until 1900 when work began on the construction of the Robert Lorimer designed building we still use today. The stone building was formally opened and consecrated in 1905 which gives us the 110th anniversary alongside the 125th anniversary of the congregation's founding.
This coming Sunday, which being Easter IV, is Good Shepherd Sunday and an appropriate date on which to give thanks for the past 125 years of the congregation and our work and witness in mission and ministry to the people of God in this bit of God's Kingdom. Come and join us at 10am and you can be sure of a warm welcome.
What's Happening >